This year I did not read a single book that I had thought I might, but I did read some good books! Planning books to read in the new year is fun, but seeing what you actually ended up reading is very enlightening. Just like the book of quotes I keep from books that have inspired me tell the story of how my thinking has changed over time, the books I plan to read and the books I actually read also tell as story of the place I am at and the things I am open to learning!
For the Modern Classics Challenge 2018, I read:
1) Book from the 1970s – The Worst Witch
2) Book from the 1980s – The Power of Myth
3) Book from the 1990s – Of Swords and Sorcerers
4) Book from the 21st Century – Austenland
5) Nonfiction – 12 Rules for Life
6) Biography or Historical Account – 84 Charing Cross Road
7) Fiction – The Bookshop on the Corner
8) Children’s Book – Magic Tree House: Dinosaurs Before Dark
9) A Banned Book – Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
10) An Award Winning Book – The Sisters Grimm: Council of Mirrors
11) A Book in Translation – Catlantis
12) A Book Made into a Movie – Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief
What does my list tell me about my year? It tells me I have spent a lot of time either reading with my kids or reading books I think they might like! This list also represents that I have managed to remember that sometimes it is ok to just have fun! Every book you read doesn’t have to be a great book, and everything you do in life doesn’t have to be of serious importance. It is important to play! Not a bad take away from the year…and not a bad lesson to carry with me into the new year!