I am hosting a Modern Classics Challenge again on my blog to help balance out all of the lovely classics I will be reading for the Back to the Classics Challenge at Karen’s Books and Chocolate! During the first week in January of 2019, I will announce a winner for $20 to Amazon or The Book Depository (if they don’t deliver to your country then the prize goes to second place). To keep it simple (because I like simple), the guidelines are:
- To enter comment to this post with a link to your blog or goodreads.
- Read anywhere between 4 and 12 books published in the last 50 years (1968) so long as there is only one for each category. I am going strictly by publication date, not when it was written! For every 4 books you read and review up to 12, you will receive one entry (so 4 books=1 entry, 8 books =2 entries, and 12 books=3 entries).
- All books used in the challenge must be read during 2018 (ALL of the book, not part of it)!
- All books must be chapter books (generally these are about 100 pages at least).
- Write a review of each book (either on your blog or on goodreads) in English and place the link in the comments on the corresponding post for that category that I will create January 1, 2018.
- In your review you must include a link to the challenge and whether or not you think this book will go on to become a classic and why! (“Because I liked it” is not an acceptable answer!)
- You must post a wrap-up post with links to all of your reviews (and a link to the challenge) no later than December 31, 2018 and comment with a link on my wrap-up post (which will also be posted January 1, 2018).
- There will be no deadlines for entering the challenge; however, I may close the challenge to new entries if there are too many entries for my blog to handle efficiently.
- If you have any questions or need the rules clarified, please ask!
* Also, I reserve the right to cancel the challenge at any time in the event of my untimely demise, an unconscious state, or a complete mental breakdown. Personally I have a good feeling about 2019, so I think the challenge will be safe!
The categories are:
1) Book from the 1970s
2) Book from the 1980s
3) Book from the 1990s
4) Book from the 21st Century
6) Biography or Historical Account
8) Children’s Book
9) A Banned Book (As long as you can make a case for someone banning it, I will not be picky.)
10) An Award Winning Book
11) A Book in Translation
12) A Book Made into a Movie
Feel free to post your list to your blog! You can change it at anytime, but I think the planning part is fun!